For this lesson you need to read Mark 1:21-28. Additional verses are listed below:
- Luke 11:21-22
- Hebrews 2:14
- 1 John 3:8
- James 2:19
- 1 Corinthians15:25
- Ephesians 1:22
- Philippians 2:9-10
1. Where did this miracle take place? (Mark 1:21)
2. What day of the week was it? (Mark 1:21)
3. What sort of spirit possessed this man in the synagogue? (Mark 1:23)
4. What did this man yell out to Jesus? (Mark 1:24)
5. Why did this possessed man want to be left alone? (Luke 11:21-22)
6. What did the devils have to do with Jesus? (Hebrews 2:14; 1 John 3:8)
7. What can we learn from the fact that this impure spirit knew Jesus? (James 2:19)
8. Why did Jesus order the devil to keep quiet?
9. How did the devil show his unwillingness to come out of the man? (Mark 1:26)
10. What can we learn about Christ's power through this miracle? (1 Corinthians 15:25; Ephesians 1:22; Philippians 2:9-10)
11. What was it about this miracle that amazed the people in the synagogue who were watching? (Mark 1:27)
This story is adapted from "Bible Questions," by T. Morrison, M.A., Copyright 1875
Graphic by FreeBibleImages.com
Scriptures from NIV Bible on BibleGateway.com
2. The Sabbath
4. "What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are - the Holy One of God!"
5. Luke 11:21-22 (NIV)
“When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe. But when someone stronger attacks and overpowers him, he takes away the armor in which the man trusted and divides up his plunder."
6. Hebrews 2:14 (NIV)
"Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— "
1 John 3:8 (NIV)
"The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work."
7. James 2:19 (NIV)
"You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."
8. Possible answers: Jesus wasn't ready to reveal that he was the Christ yet; Jesus was showing his power of the spirit; Jesus was getting him under control.
9. The spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek.
10. Jesus will put all enemies under his feet; God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church; Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth.
11. The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching—and with authority! He even gives orders to impure spirits and they obey him.”